Further Development

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2007 at 4:56 AM
Hey gmoothart,

Are you planning to continue development on this project? I was just thinking about adding a project here for the same purpose. I've used Rory's code in a couple personal projects and find it invaluable and am keenly interested in expanding upon it. If at all possible I would love the opportunity to contribute.

I see that you were planning to add variable arithmetic at one point. Have you continued work on that?

Additional features I was thinking of implementing:
  • Implement server-side parsing of the "@import" command. By doing this it would allow developers to break CSS files up based upon whatever logical barriers make sense for the project while still only delivering a single file to the client (saving on http connections and overhead). It may also make it possible to have one css file dedicated to the "@define" block which could then apply to all other css files link via the @import.
  • Whitespace removal and compression. A lot can be done to compress CSS to further save on bandwith.
  • Parse CSS via QueryString. While binding the HTTPHandler to "*.css" is the preferred solution in most cases, it would be easy and beneficial to allow something along the lines of "CssHandler.axd?src=/styles.css".

Let me know what you think. I hope that we are able to combine our efforts and provide a solid css helper for everyone to use!

Troy
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2007 at 7:19 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2007 at 7:19 PM

TroyGoode wrote:
Are you planning to continue development on this project?

Troy,
I'd like to do some more development, but currently it's on the back burner. There are a lot of other things tying up my free time, and I don't strictly need the arithmetic right now.

Anyway, your suggestions sound good and I'd love to have you develop them. I've added you as a project coordinator. Welcome aboard!

Gabe
Coordinator
Nov 15, 2007 at 5:29 PM
Great, thanks Gabe! I did a ton of work yesterday and have just about wrapped everything up. I'll be posting a new release today or tomorrow.